Germany is an awesome country to travel to because it has a lot to offer. In the south, you find the Alps where you can ski and go hiking. In the interior, you find the cultural cities and villages. In the north are the coastlines where you can enjoy the beaches. Germany is a country that has something to offer for every type of traveler.
You can use this Germany travel guide to prepare for your trip.
Important Information Germany
Germany at glance: Germany is a popular country to travel through because of its beautiful landscapes and cities. For example, Berlin, Munich, and Dresden are nice cities to visit. Germany consists of 16 federal states that together form Germany but good to know is that each state is very different.
Popular destinations in Germany: the destinations below are some of the most popular places to visit in Germany. There are of course many more places, but it is a nice start to planning your trip.
- Berlin: Berlin is the capital of Germany and has a lot to offer in terms of culture. You can learn a lot about the Second World War here. For example, it is very impressive to see the German wall with all the bullet holes.
- Munich: this is one of the nicest cities to visit because of its historical center and the many restaurants and cafes that can be found.
- Berchtesgaden: Berchtesgaden is located in Bavaria, which is a nice place to visit because from here you can do some hikes in the Alps, but also other nice sights such as the Eagle’s Nest or Salzburg are worth visiting.
- Neuschwanstein: in Germany, you can visit several castles where Neuschwanstein is the most beautiful castle, this castle is located in the south of Germany in the state of Bavaria.
- Black forest: if you like hiking, a visit to the Black Forest (Schwarzwald) is recommended because here you find the most forests in Germany.
- Zugspitze: if you like mountains, visiting Zugspitze is recommended. This is the highlight mountain of Germany:
- Lake Königssee: in Norway, you can visit the Fjords and in Germany Lake Königssee, an amazing lake that is surrounded by mountains.
- Rothenburg ob der Tauber: near Nurmberg, Rothenburg ob der Tauber is one of the most best medieval villages in Germany to visit.
- Potsdam: if you love history, Potsdam is recommended to visit. Here you can learn a lot about the Second World War. Also near Potsdam, you find Sanssouci which was the palace of the Prussian king.
- Trier: in the Moselle region you find Trier which is the old Roman city of Germany.
Tipping in Germany: tipping is not mandatory in Germany. However, it is nice to tip 5 to 10 percent. But this is completely personal.
Religion and culture in Germany: Germans are generally Roman Catholic and this is still strongly reflected in society. For example, everything is closed on religious holidays. Germans are fairly formal and always very correct, they have a lot of respect for each other.
Transport in Germany: Traveling between destinations in Germany is easy because public transport is well organized in Germany. The roads are also good so you can travel with your transport without any problems. Via this link, you can buy tickets for public transport.
If you travel to Germany by plane and you are looking for a car to rent, you can rent it through Rentalcars. We use Rentalcars when we want to travel by car to discover new destinations. They’re easy to use and book with.
The best time to visit Germany
It depends on what kind of traveler you are when the best time is to visit Germany. If you want to go skiing, it is best to travel to Germany in the winter months. If you prefer to go for a walk in nice weather, the summer is the best period.
Germany can be divided into three tourism seasons:
High season (July-August): this is the warmest period in Germany. This period is great if you want to be active during your vacation. The disadvantage is that during this period it can be busier due to the European vacation period, which causes prices to be higher.
Moderate Season (March-June & September-November): Spring and Autumn period, is a good times to visit Germany as temperatures are pleasant but not as crowded as summer. This period is also cheaper than summer and winter.
Winter season (December-February): Winter period, is a busy period because of winter sports. Many people travel to Germany to go skiing, especially in the south of Germany. If you want to do winter sports this is the best period.
Best time to visit Germany: the answer to this is very simple. If you want to go on a winter sports holiday, it is best to go during the winter months. If you want an active holiday, the other periods are excellent with summer being the best period. The disadvantage is that this is more expensive.
Is Germany safe to visit?
Germany is a safe country to travel through. The only thing you have to watch out is for pickpockets in the big cities.
World Nomads travel insurance policies offer coverage for more than 150 activities. Get a quote, make a claim, or buy or extend your policy while on the road.
Best things to do in Germany
Hike in the Alps
Hiking in the Alps is one of the best places to hike in Europe. The Alps are located in the south of Germany in the state of Bavaria. You can start walks from different places. We recommend hiking at Garmisch-Partekirchen or at Berchtesgaden. The difference is that the hikes at Berchtesgaden are a little less touristy, only a little rougher at Garmisch-Partenkirchen.
Enjoy the lakes
In Germany, you can enjoy nature a lot, because it is so varied. so you can find many beautiful lakes. This is because they are often surrounded by forests, grassy plains, mountains, or other landscapes. The most beautiful lake in our opinion is Eibsee, this lake is located at the foot of the Zugspitze.
Visit the most important buildings in German history
If you like to visit important buildings from history such as castles or villages, then a visit to Neuschwanstein is recommended. This is the most beautiful castle you can visit in Germany. The village of Rothenburg aub der Tauber is also recommended, everything in this village dates from the medieval period.
Behold the great German cities
If you are going to travel through Germany, a visit to Berlin and Munich is something you have to see. In Berlin, you can learn a lot about the history of the Second World War. Despite the war, a relatively large number of old buildings have remained in Munich, making the historic center worth a visit. Smaller cities such as Trier are also worth a visit, as you can find many Roman remains here.
Best itinerary Germany
If you are planning a trip to Germany, it is smart to determine in advance which area you want to visit. It is not advisable to cross the whole of Germany because this is simply too big.
We have made a trip through Bavaria, and based on our experience, we have made a Bavaria itinerary. Below you can see the itinerary shown. You can read more information about the itinerary via the link.
Best dishes in Germany
Eating in Germany is always a pleasure. Most destinations often have several dining options to choose from. Germany is a country where they love meat. If you prefer not to eat meat, you can still eat vegetarian or vegan. The dishes below are popular in Germany and worth trying:
- Currywurst: this is one of the most traditional dishes from Germany. Currywurst is a bratwurst served with a curry sauce. This is delicious with a sandwich or eaten on its own.
- Bratwurst with sauerkraut: another traditional German dish is to eat a bratwurst with sauerkraut. You will often find this dish on the menu in the winter months. It is a heavy dish that is perfect if you have been active all day.
- Schnitzel: schnitzel is often prepared with pork, veal, or chicken. The meat is breaded with breadcrumbs and is usually served with fries.
- Käsespätzle: this is the German variant of spaghetti. It is a kind of noodles that are prepared with a lot of cheese. This is our favorite dish to try.
- Eisbein: you see eisbein often on the menu in Germany, this is a pork leg that is popular to order in Germany.
- Flammkuchen: this is the pizza variant of Germany. The difference with the Italian pizza is that the dough does not contain yeast so the dough does not rise and is therefore thinner.
What budget do you need for Germany?
An average traveler spends between $80 and $130 per day. It is possible to travel through Germany with less money. In our article about a Germany trip costs, we share all our tips to save money while traveling through Germany. We also share how much our trip through Bavaria costs.
Where to stay in Germany?
In Germany, it is important to book on time because the accommodations with the best value for money are quickly fully booked. We have made an overview of our favorite accommodations in Bavaria. You can combine this article with our Bavaria itinerary. The article is easy to follow, through a clear overview you can immediately book an accommodation. It saves you a lot of work to find the accommodations yourself.
What to pack for a trip to Germany?
It’s difficult to give generic advice on what to pack because it depends on when, where, and what you’re going to do on your trip. When you follow our travel route from Bavaria, we recommend that you bring the following items with you. In most cases, this list is also complete for another trip through Germany.
- Swimming and normal (hike) clothes (pack as light as possible, work with layers)
- 1 pair of good walking shoes + hiking socks, 1 pair of slippers
- Toilet bag with stuff
- Mosquito Repellent
- Sun protection
- Crazycap (UV water bottle)
- Personal Items
Other travel tips for Germany?
- In most cases, the Germans can speak English just fine, but it is still useful to speak a few words of German. This is easy if someone doesn’t speak English.
- Don’t go for an organized trip, but try to do everything independently. This saves you a lot of money and you can always decide for yourself during your trip what you feel like. You are not following a train.
- Enjoy your journey through Germany. Germany is a great country to travel through because of the beautiful nature, authentic villages, and cities, but especially the nice people.
What do you think of our Germany travel guide? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
Disclaimer: the prices mentioned in this article may differ from the current situation. We regularly update our articles. Would you like to help us to provide to best possible insights to help other travelers leave a comment with the latest information. Thanks!
Did you like this article? Then save it to Pinterest for later!